KNOWING CHRIST AS THE CONQUEROR OF SATAN
A Sermon By Wayne Camp
TEXT: Gen. 3:15; Heb. 2:14-15; I Jn. 3:8
INTRO: In this series that I have called Knowing Christ, I have come to three or four sermons which I want to preach and I have really had a difficult time in deciding which order I would follow. I want to preach on Knowing Christ as the Conqueror of Satan, Knowing Christ as the Overcomer of the World, Knowing Christ as the One Having the Keys of Hell and Death, and Knowing Christ as the Destroyer of Death.
The last one was easy because that is yet future. There will come a day when Christ will destroy his last enemy which is death. It is our enemy also. Christ now, right now and ever since his resurrection, at least, has had the keys of hell and death, signifying his absolute authority over them, not simply because he is sovereign God but because he has invaded the vaults of death and hell and has subdued both as the glorified Son of Man.
I have chosen to speak to you first on the subject Knowing Christ as the Conqueror of Satan. The first gospel message this world ever heard is found in Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Before God pronounced judgment on the woman and told her of the pain and travail she would endure in childbearing, he gave the promise that Christ would come as the seed of the woman and conquer Satan. Before God pronounced judgment against the man causing him to labor and toil in an endless battle to earn his living, he promised that Christ would come as the seed of the woman and bruise the head of Satan. Before God had ever made clothing for Adam and Eve, he promised that Christ would come as the seed of the woman and conquer Satan. Before God had ever driven the man and woman out of the Garden of Eden, he promised that Christ would come as the seed of the woman and bruise the head of Satan.
It is a marvel of grace that God manifest his mercy before he pronounced his judgment. It reminds us that before the fall into sin by man had ever occurred, the everlasting covenant of grace and all its arrangements were settled in heaven. Before the cities of refuge were ever needed by and Israelite, God ordered them built. God never waits until there is a need before he prepares the remedy.
Now if we are to understand what it means to know Christ as the conqueror of Satan we must understand somewhat of the dominion of Satan. Then, we will see how Christ entered into the domain of Satan and conquered him. Thirdly we will look at the encouragement we should receive from Satan's defeat.
I. THE DOMINION AND POWER OF SATAN
A. The dominion and power of Satan has never been unlimited by the power and sovereign rule of God.
1. Before the fall of man and before the death of Christ, Satan learned in a very harsh way that his power was limited to and under the government of God. Isaiah 14:12-15 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
2. When he would bring down Job and show him to only be serving God because of the blessings of God upon him he showed that he could only proceeded against Job as far as God permitted. Job 1:8-10 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought? Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
B. Despite the limitations, Satan had great power in this earth to work his wickedness.
1. This power is signified by the various titles ascribed to him.
a. He claimed authority over the kingdoms of this world. Luke 4:6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
b. Three times Jesus called him the prince of this world. John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. John 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
c. Paul called him the god of this world. 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
d. Paul also called him the prince of the power of the air. Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience.
2. The power of Satan is demonstrated in the things he is capable of doing.
a. He is very capable of deception. 2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
b. He is capable of blinding the eyes of men to the truth of the gospel. 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
c. He has all unbelievers under his power and dominion. Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son. 1 John 5:19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. (the world whole in the wicked one lies). This is the same wicked one of verse 18. 1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
d. He is able to give men the power to work miracles and lying wonders. 2 Thessalonians 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders.
e. Causes false teachers to transform themselves as apostles of Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
f. He is able to snatch the word away from the Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
g. He is able to plant false professors among the saved and in the Lord's churches.Matthew 13:38-39 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
h. He is able to instigate men to commit terrible acts of sin. John 13:2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him.
C. Satan has the power of death.
1. He brought the death that God had threatened into the world through his deception of Eve. Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
2. He causes many to remain in a spiritually dead state. 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
3. He is able to destroy the body of believers when disciplined by a church which amounts to physical death ultimately. 1 Corinthians 5:4-5 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Timothy 1:20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.
II. JESUS CHRIST ENTERED THE REALM OF SATAN DEFEATED HIM IN HIS OWN ARENA
A. Satan is the God of this world and Jesus Christ came into this world. John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
B. In his crucifixion Jesus accomplished the casting down of Satan. John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
C. In his death Christ spoiled the kingdom of Satan. Colossians 2:14-15 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
D. Through his own death and being made sin Jesus Christ destroyed the control over men that he had through sin. Hebrews 2:14-15 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
E. Through his death, the bruising of his heel, the Lord Jesus Christ was able to bruise the head of Satan. Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
1. He delivered his people from the fear of death and the grave. Hebrews 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
2. He extracted the sting from death and victory from the grave. 1 Corinthians 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
3. He proclaimed liberty to the captives and the opening of the prison house of sin to those bound therein. Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.
4. It is no wonder Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 2:7-8 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: 8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
F. Christ was manifested to destroy the works of the Devil and he did. 1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
G. Christ has bruised Satan at other times since his death. Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.
III. THE ENCOURAGEMENT WE SHOULD RECEIVE FROM CHRIST'S DEFEAT OF SATAN
A. It assures us that we are hedged in even better than was Job and Satan cannot cross that hedge without divine permission.
1. Satan cannot touch our wealth without God's permission.
2. Satan cannot touch our health without God's permission.
3. Satan cannot touch our family without God's permission.
4. Satan cannot touch this church without God's permission.
B. It assures us when trouble or tragedy does come that it must be for our good because Christ has bruised Satan and wrested his power over God's elect from him. Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
1. If God ordains that we endure some trouble there are not enough doctors, nor policemen, nor armies, nor guns, nor locked doors, nor locked gates, nor fierce watch dogs to keep out the enemy be they fallen angel, demon spirit or wicked men.
2. When God would have us left alone a military tank could not cross the invisible hedge he has about us.
3. While looking for a statement made by Spurgeon on the restoration of the nation of Israel I found this. Spurgeon said, "Where God guarantees safety, there safety is. All the princes of this world cannot make that man safe against whom God aims his arrow, but all the devils in hell cannot wound that man over whom the everlasting aegis (shield) is uplifted to keep him secure."
4. Let us ever remember the words of Elisha, 2 Kings 6:15-18 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. And when they came down to him, Elisha prayed unto the LORD, and said, Smite this people, I pray thee, with blindness. And he smote them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.
CONC: When the church at Rome was facing persecution Paul assured them in these words, Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
Let me assure you this morning that there is soon coming a time when Satan will experiencing such a bruising that he will be chained for 1,000 glorious years. He will not be able to hurt nor destroy for a golden millennium. When the thousand years are finished his final and eternal bruising will take place and he will suffer forever in hell.
Let us not fear nor waver. Let us fight the good fight of faith. Let us say with Paul, Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. We have a Saviour who has gotten the victory over Satan at the cross. Let us not fear death for he has defeated him who had the power of death.
Click here to return to index of this series: INDEX OF SERIES~KNOWING CHRIST
Click here to go to next message in this series: KNOWING CHRIST AS THE OVERCOMER OF THE WORLD
RETURN TO PILGRIMS HOPE BAPTIST CHURCH HOME PAGE
Last updated on Thursday, May 15, 2003